IT was a bad day for Edinburgh Accies but 17-year-old full-back Harry Paterson stood out as assured in defence and a real threat in attack, outshining his more experienced team-mates to earn the number 15 jersey ahead of opposite number Craig Gossman, who also stood out with some ambitious running from deep.
The other Gossman brother, Kerr, does make it on the right wing, while James Cooper edging the other wide slot after a lively performance for Glasgow Hawks in their narrow loss to Chieftains.
Archie Russell put in an excellent performance on his first competitive game for Boroughmuir, albeit in a heavily one-side affair, so is handed the number 13 jersey, just ahead of another comeback kid in Mark New, who impressed for Hawks in his first week back after six weeks out with glandular fever. The consistently excellent Robbie Nelson is at inside-centre.
Gregor Hunter kept the scoreboard ticking over wth some fine goal-kicking against Hawks, and showed his experience and class when pulling the strings when Chieftains’ ruthless attack; and Kaleem Barreto brought real energy to Hawks’ game when he joined the contest at scrum-half early in the second-half.
In the pack, Gary Strain put in a mighty shift around the park with 15 tackles and 12 carries so is selected at loose-head prop, with then man he packed down against, Matias Sonzogni Agiro, edging it into the number three jersey. Four-try Johnny Matthews is a shoo-in at hooker.
Callum Atkinson had a massive game in the middle-row for Boroughmuir and he is joined in the engine-room by the industrious Marc Kelly of Currie Chieftains, who was the top tackler in his team with 23 and got his hand on the ball 15 times, which was more than any other forward.
Thomas Gordon was excellent again at open-side flanker for Chieftains, while the other two back-row slots go to the lively Boroughmuir duo of Craig Keddie and Rory Drummond.
15. Harry Paterson (Edinburgh Accies)
14. Kerr Gossman (Boroughmuir)
13. Archie Russell (Boroughmuir)
12. Robbie Nelson (Currie Chieftains)
11. James Couper (Glasgow Hawks)
10. Gregor Hunter (Currie Chieftains)
9. Kaleem Barreto (Glasgow Hawks)
1. Gary Strain (Glasgow Hawks)
2. Johnny Matthews (Boroughmuir)
3. Matias Sonzogni Agiro (Currie Chieftains)
4. Callum Atkinson (Boroughmuir)
5. Marc Kelly (Currie Chieftains)
6. Craig Keddie (Boroughmuir)
7. Thomas Gordon (Currie Chieftains)
8. Rory Drummond (Boroughmuir)