WE’VE tallied up the selections for The Offside Line’s Dream Team for each of the 18 rounds of the regular Tennent’s Premiership season and found the player picked in each position the most number of times, including a full eight man bench of those who were unlucky to miss out on the starting XV.
This is what we ended up with –
15. Josh Rowland (Watsonians)
14. Ben Robbins (Currie Chieftains)
13. Joe Reynolds (Currie Chieftains)
12. Stafford McDowall (Ayr)
11. Jordan Edmunds (Boroughmuir)
10. Lee Armstrong (Hawick)
9. Murdo McAndrew (Melrose)
1. Shawn Muir (Hawick)
2. Johnny Matthews (Boroughmuir)
3. Struan Cessford (Heriot’s)
4. Adam Sinclair (Heriot’s)
5. Angus Runciman (Melrose)
6. Hamilton Burr (Stirling County)
7. Jack McLean (Heriot’s)
8. Blair Macpherson (Ayr)
16. Michael Liness (Heriot’s)
17. Gary Strain (Glasgow Hawks)
18. Jack Stanley (Watsonians)
19. Mike Vernel (Currie Chieftains)
20. Thomas Gordon (Currie Chieftains)
21. Andrew Simmers (Heriot’s)
22. Andrew Goudie (Stirling County)
23. Harry Paterson (Edinburgh Accies)
Scotland v Wales: time to rebuild the fortress, says Hamish Watson
I make it that Steven Longwell had 5 appearances in the TotW and Jack Stanley only had 4? Stanley appears to have come on a lot over the season, and is possibly the form tight head towards the end of the season, and Longwell was perhaps chosen in both the loose head and tight head positions, but I still think he should be in the squad.
Likewise, Ian Wilson of Heriots had 5 appearances in the TotW. Perhaps he sufferes from being picked at both 6 and 7? Hamilton Burr had an outstanding season for Stirling County and would be in my team of the season, but purely on ‘appearances in the TOL TotW’ Iain Wilson should perhaps edge him in this selection.
Good points Moody Blue.
As you say, Seven Longwell was picked twice at loose-head so only three times at tight-head while Jack Stanley was picked four times as a tight-head so it was a straight-forward mathematical decision.
Iain Wilson and Hamilton Burr both had to three selections at blindside, so it came down to a ‘judgement call’. We initially had Wilson on the bench, but on the basis that Thomas Gordon also had an outstanding season and the same number of Dream Team selections, he missed out.
There was some pretty tough calls!
Would be interested in an article discussing these guys prospects at getting a pro deal.