IT will provide scant consolation to Richard Cockerill in the aftermath of his team’s 20-minute implosion at the end of last weekend’s play-off semi-final clash against Ulster at Murrayfield, but the progress made by Edinburgh over the course of the full season has been recognised by the selection of six players – more than any other club – in the PRO14’s 2019-20 Dream Team.
Leinster, who were runaway winners of Conference A, and who will start as favourites in this coming weekend’s Grand Final, have three players selected; while opponents Ulster have two players in the side. Glasgow Warriors are not represented.
Media from across all five countries, including former players and coaches, voted for the XV, with players only eligible for selection if they played in eight of more games during the campaign.
Guinness PRO14 Dream Team 2019-20:
15. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Rugby)
14. Monty Ioane (Benetton Rugby)
13. Rey Lee-Lo (Cardiff Blues)
12. Stuart McCloskey (Ulster)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh)
10. Jaco van der Walt (Edinburgh)
9. John Cooney (Ulster)
1. Pierre Schoeman (Edinburgh)
2. Joseph Dweba (Toyota Cheetahs)
3. Leon Brown (Dragons)
4. Scott Fardy (Leinster)
5. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh)
6. Max Deegan (Leinster)
7. Will Connors (Leinster)
8. Bill Mata (Edinburgh)