Silver Saturday: Men’s National League Cup, National Shield and National Bowl Finals round-up

Falkirk celebrate their National League Cup success over Lasswade. Image: Falkirk RFC
Falkirk celebrate their National League Cup success over Lasswade. Image: Falkirk RFC

Men’s National League Cup Final:

Lasswade 21-34 Falkirk

14-man Lasswade put up a brave fight against Falkirk in the National League Cup Final. Image: Peter Watt
14-man Lasswade put up a brave fight against Falkirk in the National League Cup Final. Image: Peter Watt


FALKIRK claimed the National League Trophy with a 34-21 win over a Lasswade side who battled hard throughout but were hamstrung by being reduced to 14 men on 20 minutes after Steven Hunter was red-carded for a head-butt.

The match was tied 7-7 when that flashpoint occurred, with Connor Faulds having streaked home for Falkirk to set up a straight forward conversion of brother Glen, and Grant Innes delivering the riposte, converted by  Matthew Smith, for Lasswade.

Despite being a man down, Lasswade struck next, with James Elliot sending David Hall over at the end of a multi-phase attack, again converted by Smith.

That was enough to give the Midlothian side a two-point lead at the break, because Glen Faulds could not add the touchline conversion to Gregor Brodie’s try in the corner.

The side’s were temporarily evened up when Falkirk’s Andrew Graham saw yellow at the start of the second half, and Lasswade drew first blood in this period through a converted Dale Robertson try.

That seemed to be the spark Falkirk needed and they soon grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, with tries from Connor Faulds, Stef Yarrow, Glen Faulds and skipper Harry Russell, the first two converted Faulds.

“I can’t give enough credit to Lasswade for their whole match performance, and the first half in particular when they were almost certainly the better team,” said Russell. “Even after they went down to 14, they made more line-breaks than us, they retained the ball better than us, their set-piece was great, and they all just worked for each other, so it was really tough against them.

“From our perspective, it felt a bit edgy for a while, but we were confident that if we stuck to our processes and played our brand of rugby then we would get opportunities, and that showed in the last 15-20 minutes when we scored a couple of tries and made it difficult for them to get back into it.”

“We’ll enjoy tonight but the season isn’t over yet, ” he added. “We’ve got one last league game to play against Stirling – so a local derby – next Saturday. If we win that then we’ll finish second in National Two, so no promotion this year, which is the second time on the bounce we have been in the mix but not quite made it.

“We’ve had a great season and a lot of younger guys have stepped up so I couldn’t be prouder of them, and we’ll work hard over the summer to prepare for next season looking to build on this cup run and go one step further in the league by finally making it into National One.”

Player of the Match: Gregor Dodd (Falkirk)


Teams –

Lasswade: R Gladstone; C Lamont, M Wilson, D Hall, G Innes; M Smith, D Sutherland; G Cook, P Wilson, D Robertson, A Lamond, S Hunter, J Elliot, L Jackaman, B Smith. Replacements: C Blackie,M Billingham, G Wright, D Tiffney, N Elliot, S Sinclair, A Hall

Falkirk: C Faulds; G Brodie, A Graham, E Cassells, G Ramsay; G Faulds, H Russell; S Serafini, A Gillespie, L Skinner, S Yarrow, G McKinnon, C Hunter, K Ross, G Dodd. Replacements: C Hazlett, J McKenna, K Williamson, C Ronald, T Paul, D Tompkins, L McNicoll.

Referee: Fergus Hollins


Scorers –

Lasswade: Innes, Hall, Robrtson, Cons: Smith 3.

Falkirk: Connor Faulds 2, Brodie, Yarrow, Glen Faulds, Russell; Cons; Glen Faulds 2.

Scoring sequence (Lasswade first): 0-5; 0-7; 5-7; 7-7; 12-7; 14-7; 14-12 (h-t) 19-12; 21-12; 21-17; 21-19; 21-24; 21-26; 21-31; 21-36.


Yellow cards –

Lasswade: Dale Robertson

Falkirk: Graham


Red Cards –

Lasswade: Hunter


Men’s Shield Final:

Cumnock 34-32 Moray

Cumnock are National Shield Champions after a dramatic comeback win over Moray. Image: Scottish Rugby/SNS
Cumnock are National Shield Champions after a dramatic comeback win over Moray. Image: Scottish Rugby/SNS

CUMNOCK were comeback kings at Hive Stadium with a late deluge of tries from Kevin Van der Leest, Lewis Young and Robbie McLaren securing the silverware with a dramatic win over Moray.

Moray had taken the lead through Cameron Hughes try, converted by Rory Millar, before Robbie McLaren reduced that early gap to just two points with an unconverted try, but the men from Elgin had the final say of the half with a Millar penalty which made is 5-10 at the break.

Moray moved further ahead after two minutes into the second half when replacement Finnley Cameron skipped a tackle to go over in the far corner for an unconverted try, they struck again when Hughes bustled over again from a tap-penalty, and when the impressive Lewis Hay’s break led to a converted Neil Alexander try, it looked like the final nail in the coffin for Cumnock.

But the Ayrshire side had other ideas, and  and hit back with their next attack through a converted Richard Carmichael try, followed by a converted Owen Young try, and although Moray bit back with a Fraser Ireland try, that was only a temporary reprieve for Caledonia League One side because a quickfire Cumnock double reduced the arrears to two points as Van der Leest and then Lewis Young hauled it back to a three-point game and sent tension levels in the Hive Stadium through the roof.

Cumnock piled on the pressure, and as the clock turned red they were awarded a penalty on their opponents’ 22 and opted to tap-and-go. Phase after phase the ball was kept alive, before eventually finding its way to the right flank for McLaren to go over for the winning score deep into injury time.

“The fight from the boys was just ridiculous,” said Cumnock’s emotions. skipper Jason McMillan afterwards. “At 27-5 down, I just asked them under the posts: ‘Do you have it in you?’ And they showed that they did. I have no words for it.

“We played for each other. The chant was: We fight to the end. And we just kept going. The ref called time a couple of minutes before we scored but we just kept chipping away and managed to get the score.

“My head was down, myself, but as captain I just had to keep pushing for us to go of it … because why not? We had a lot of fans through rooting for us so we owed it to them to keep going. i’m just amazingly proud. I was in tears at the end.

“It won’t be a quiet one tonight! It’s  back to the club, DJ, and stay in there celebrating!”

Player of the Match: Connor Hill (Cumnock)


Teams –

Cumnock: J Watt; O Young, L Young, A Houston, K Ferrans; N Davidson, Z Smith; E Bell, S Lowrie, J McMillan, B O’Dowd, M Thomson, J Caldwell, R McLaren, C Hill. Replacements: R Carmichael, J Crawford, M Anderson, G Glasgow, K Farrow, K Van Der Leest, R Watson.

Moray: R Millar; L Scott, C McWilliam, C Hughes, L Hay; D Ireland, C Ireland; M Taylor,M Higgins, J Westmacott, A Matthews, H Macrae, D Clarke, K Morrison, N Alexander. Replacements: S Fletcher-Harrison, F Ireland, S Clarke, F Cameron, B Taylor, E Simpson, I Stuart.

Referee: Scott Cubitt


Scorers –

Cumnock: Tries: McLaren 2, Carmichael, L Young, Van der Leest, O Young; Cons: Davidson 2.

Moray: Hughes 2, Cameron, Alexander, Ireland; Con: Millar 2; Pen: Millar.

Scoring sequence (Cumnock first): 0-5; 0-7; 5-7; 5-10 (h-t) 5-15; 5-20; 5-25; 5-27; 10-27; 12-27; 17-27; 19-27; 19-32; 24-32; 29-32; 34-32.



Men’s Bowl Final:

Irvine 35-32 Blairgowrie

Blairgowrie on their way to victory over Irvine in the National Bowl Final (Men). Image: Peter Watt
Blairgowrie on their way to victory over Irvine in the National Bowl Final (Men). Image: Peter Watt


IN the first game of the day, Irvine bounced back from going two tries down during the first half to claim victory over Blairgowrie in a pulsating Men’s Bowl Final in Hive Stadium.

No 8 Fergus Barron and winger David Rattray-Paterson got the early scores for Blairgowrie, with Jai Connely converting the first, before Blairgowrie finally got off the mark when a sustained period of pressure culminated in Ruchin Filander barging over on a No 8 pick-up, with Chistopher Hobson adding the conversion for good measure.

Blairgowrie bounced back in sharp fashion with a Connely penalty stretching the lead to 7-15 at half-time, but that deficit was soon reduced to just three minutes into the second half when winger Mark Storm powered between the posts, and Hobson again converted.

Blairgowrie responded with another Connely penalty, before Irvine first took the lead for the first time in the game through a well-worked team try finished off by prop Logan Ferguson on the wing, successfully converted by Hobson, and then stretched their advantage to n10 points through a Jonathan Webster try, again converted by Hobson. 

James Wilson crashed over for another Hobson converted try to further consolidate Irvine’s position, but Blairgowrie were not done yet and Barron struck back with his second try of the contest, converted by Connely.

A late Irvine Laing try converted by Connely made it just three points at the end.

Player of the Match: Logan Ferguson (Irvine)


Teams –

Irvine: C Ridout; M Storm, N McMillan, J  Carson, B Mentiolay; C Hobson, S Auld; J Webster, B Auld, L Ferguson, S Thomson, J Hutton, I Speirs, J Wilson, R Filander. Replacements: A Robertson, R Festorazzi, A Nugent;, C Scott, S Kerr, D Logan, D Baird.

Blairgowrie: D Rattray-Paterson; S Obure, L Walker, I Laing;, J Connely; J McLaren, R Grant; P Duncan, VC Michie, T Bannon, A Todd, G Watson,. J Lynn, A McOuat, F Barron. Replacements: O Hepburn-Clark, A Guild, S Gordon, M McOuat, S Morrison, R Mason, T Helyer.

Referee: Alex Obreja


Scores –

Irvine: Tries: Filand, Storm, Ferguson, Webster, Wilson; Cons: Hobson 4.

Blairgowrie: Tries: Barron 2, Rattray-Paterson, Lang; Con: Connely 3; Pens: Connely 2.


Yellow Cards –

Blairgowrie: Samwel Obure

URC: Zebre v Glasgow: Kyle Steyn inspires Warriors surge to bonus-point win

About David Barnes 4001 Articles
David has worked as a freelance rugby journalist since 2004 covering every level of the game in Scotland for publications including The Herald/Sunday Herald, The Sunday Times, The Telegraph, The Scotsman/Scotland on Sunday/Evening News, The Daily Record, The Daily Mail/Mail on Sunday and The Sun.


  1. Come on TOL – it is now Monday and you still have the score line on the Bowl report wrong. I expect better from you.

  2. Tremendous event and brilliant to see so many fans of different clubs enjoying an experience that doesn’t come around very often for a lot of players at this level. Much more talent out there than some would have you believe.

  3. Some of us have waited an awfully long time for this success, and with Talbot, Cumnock and Glenafton all on a bit of a downer, it’s a huge boost for local sport.

    A lot of hard work has gone into this, it was a mainly home-grown squad which won it too. Well done to all at Broomfield.

    Just a pity Cumnock has lost several of the founding fathers over the past year or so, they’d have loved this victory.


Comments are closed.