THE return of the Men’s Scottish Cup for the first time since the Covid lockdown has thrown up some mouthwatering first round fixtures to be played on 4th February. The competition will involve the 22 teams which populate the top two club leagues (Premiership and National One), with 10 teams being given a first round bye in order to create a 16-team second-round which is to be played on 25th March.
One of the stand-out fixtures from today’s round one draw sees Hawick hosting Jed-Forest in a Border tussle at Mansfield Park. Elsewhere, GHK and Stewart’s Melville, the two sides which were promoted from National Two last season, will clash at Old Anniesland; while Biggar will feel they have a point to prove when they welcome Heriot’s Blues – who pipped them to promotion into the Premiership last season – to Hartree Mill.
First Round – 4th February 2023
- Aberdeen Grammar Rugby v Stirling County
- GHK v Stewart’s Melville
- Hawick v Jed Forest
- Gala v Glasgow Hawks
- Biggar v Heriot’s Blues
- Musselburgh v Highland
- Byes: Ayr, Currie Chieftains, Dundee Rugby, Edinburgh Academical, GHA, Kelso, Marr, Melrose Rugby, Selkirk & Watsonian.
Second Round – 25th March 2023
- Dundee Rugby v Gala or Glasgow Hawks
- GHK or Stewart’s Melville v Aberdeen Grammar Rugby or Stirling County
- Marr v Watsonian
- Currie Chieftains v Melrose Rugby
- Selkirk v Musselburgh or Highland
- Edinburgh Academical v Hawick or Jed Forest
- GHA v Ayr
- Kelso v Biggar or Heriot’s Blues
- Quarter Final – 1st April 2023
- Semi Final – 15th April 2023
- Final – 29th April 2023 (TBC)
Love the fact the cup is back not sure of the point of giving half the teams a bye. I’m sure the clubs would’ve welcomed the gate money as well as selling a few pints. Agree on the 7 weeks, that’s a proper momentum killer.
It appears that there are only 22 teams appearing in the cup. 12 play in the first round and the top 10 get a bye into the second round.
With only QF’s, Sf’s and final that makes 5 weekends in total
I guess the 7 week hiatus is to allow the excitement for round two to build into early spring, or maybe it’s just bad planning!
7 weeks between rounds?