SEAN LINEEN has named a 32-man squad for the 2021 Under-20 Six Nations Championship, which kicks off on Saturday 19th June, with Glasgow Warriors Academy second-row Alex Samuel being given the role of captain.
Samuel – who spent time training with the senior national side earlier this year – is one of 13 players in the squad attached to either of Scotland’s pro teams.
All five rounds of the championship will be played at Cardiff Arms Park between Saturday 19th June and Tuesday 13th July so as to reduce travel and minimise the threat of spreading Covid.
The match-day squads will consist of 26 players due to the condensed format of the competition and all five match-days will feature three tournament matches played consecutively.
“Over the last few months we have been preparing well for this tournament with a number of camps and sessions focusing on player development both on and off the pitch,” said Lineen.
“Last month we had two training games against our English counterparts which were positive, they were useful exercises in game management and seeing how different combinations of players worked together,” said Lineen.
“With just over two weeks until the opening fixture against Ireland the squad will assemble for one further training camp before we travel down to Cardiff.
“This squad have worked tirelessly over the last few months, there were some tough selection calls to make but we know that this group of players are set to play an exciting brand of rugby.”
Scotland will play the opening fixture of the championship against Ireland, on 19th June (kick-off 2pm) followed by games against England on Friday 25th June (kick-off 2pm), Italy on Thursday 1st July (kick-off 2pm) and France on Wednesday 7th July (kick-off 5pm).
Scotland will then conclude their tournament when they play the hosts, Wales, in the closing fixture of the championship on Tuesday 13th July (kick-off 8pm).
Every match will be broadcast in each of the Six Nations territories either on terrestrial TV, national broadcaster streaming platforms or via Six Nations digital channels.
Scotland squad for U20 Six Nations:
- Jamie Drummond (Ayrshire Bulls)
- Patrick Harrison (Southern Knights/Edinburgh Rugby)
- Duncan Hood (Heriot’s Blues)
- Tom Banatvala (Durham University)
- Michael Jones (Boroughmuir Bears)
- Corey Bowker (Leeds Beckett University)
- George Breese (Stirling Wolves)
- Olly Frostick (Ealing Trailfinders)
- Cole Lamberton (Watsonians Rugby/Edinburgh Rugby)
- Alex Samuel (Stirling County/Glasgow Warriors) CAPATIN
- Max Williamson (Stirling County/Glasgow Warriors)
- Euan Ferrie (Glasgow Hawks)
- Harri Morris (Southern Knights)
- Rhys Tait (Southern Knights)
- Ollie Leatherbarrow (Exeter University)
- Rory Jackson (Ayrshire Bulls/Glasgow Warriors)
- Ben Muncaster (Watsonians Rugby/Edinburgh Rugby)
- Archie Smeaton (Cambridge University)
- Ethan McVicker (Melrose Rugby)
- Murray Redpath (Newcastle University)
- Cameron Scott (Southern Knights/Edinburgh Rugby)
- Euan Cunningham (Stirling County/Glasgow Warriors)
- Christian Townsend (Ayrshire Bulls)
- Thomas Glendinning (Glasgow Hawks)
- Scott King (Heriot’s Rugby/Edinburgh Rugby)
- Michael Gray (Boroughmuir Bears/Glasgow Warriors)
- Elliot Gourlay (Sale Sharks)
- Finlay Callaghan (Ayrshire Bulls/Glasgow Warriors)
- Adam Scott (GHA)
- Ollie Melville (Boroughmuir Bears/Glasgow Warriors)
- Harry Paterson (Heriot’s Rugby/Edinburgh Rugby)
- Ross McKnight (Stirling County)