RHYS TAIT will captain the Scotland Under-20s team during the age-grade Six Nations, which kicks-off on Friday 1th February against England at the DAM Health Stadium.
The Boroughmuir Bears back-row, who was born and raised in Hawick, is part of a 30-player squad for the championship which was announced by new head coach Kenny Murray at lunchtime today [Thursday].
“Having just stepped into this role I have been impressed by the players commitment intensity and skill-set during our camp this week,” said Murray, who will be assisted by Shade Munro, Rob Chrystie and Kris Burney, who were all involved last year.
“I watched a lot of the FOSROC Super6 last year and have had the chance to work with some of these players in the Glasgow Warriors setting already, so I know what they are capable of.
“The squad had a difficult time down in Cardiff last year, although it was challenging for them it does mean that 14 players now have the experience and knowledge of playing international rugby and they know how to better prepare for what is to come this year.”
The make-up of the squad consists of: 13 exiles (including four forwards from Ealing Trailfinders), nine Super6 aligned players, four Premiership players, two directly aligned to Edinburgh, one from National One and one from Strathallan School.
Scotland Squad for 2022 Under-20 Six Nations:
- Mikey Jones* (Heriot’s Rugby / Edinburgh Rugby)
- Tom Banatvala (Durham University)
- Ali Rogers** (Glasgow Hawks)
- Callum Norrie** (Strathallan School)
- Olly Frostick (Ealing Trailfinders/Henly Hawks)
- Gregor Hiddleston (GHA)
- Patrick Harrison* (Edinburgh Rugby)
- Duncan Hood (Bath University)
- Max Williamson* (Stirling County/Glasgow Warriors)
- Josh Taylor (Ealing Trailfinders)
- Jake Spurway (Durham University)
- Tim Brown (Glasgow Hawks)
- Rhys Tait* (Boroughmuir Bears/Glasgow Warriors) CAPTAIN
- Innes Hill (Ealing Trailfinders)
- Olujare Oguntibeju (Ealing Trailfinders)
- Matt Deehan (Newcastle Falcons)
- Ollie Leatherbarrow (Exeter University)
- Murray Redpath (Newcastle University)
- Jonty Cope (Durham University)
- Jed Gelderbloom (Edinburgh Rugby)
- Christian Townsend* (Ayrshire Bulls/Glasgow Warriors)
- Euan Cunningham* (Stirling County/Glasgow Warriors)
- Duncan Munn** (Boroughmuir Bears)
- Mike Gray* (Boroughmuir Bears/Glasgow Warriors)
- Ben Salmon** (Stirling Wolves)
- Andy Stirrat** (GHA)
- Ross McKnight* (Stirling County/Glasgow Warriors)
- Ben Evans* (Heriot’s Rugby/Edinburgh Rugby)
- Ollie Melville (Newcastle University)
- Robin McLintock (Montpellier)
*FOSROC Scottish Rugby Contracted Academy Player
**FOSROC Scottish Rugby Regional Academy Player