Premiership: The Sunday Summary (for Saturday 4th December)

All five of the top sides in the league came out on top but had to work hard for their wins against some spirited opposition

Hawks winger Ryan Fleet is tackled by Jed’s Gregor Young. Image: © Craig Watson -
Hawks winger Ryan Fleet is tackled by Jed’s Gregor Young. Image: © Craig Watson -
  • Currie Chieftains went hurtling into a 17-point lead against GHA at Braidholm, and then dug themselves into a hole. They managed to dig their way back out – but were pretty relieved to hear the final whistle. Paddy Boyer was our man-of-the-match – but, overall, hardly a vintage performance. Mark Cairns will be looking for more consistency at home to Selkirk next week.


  • It was “one of the worst days ever experienced at Rubislaw” according to our correspondent, Jack Nixon. Craig Redpath agreed. “It was a question of survival,” he said, as Marr edged through their war of attrition with Aberdeen, overcoming what was, perhaps, a harsh first-half Jordan McLean red card. Colin Sturgeon kept the show on the road, and through the gloom, Scott Bickerstaff occasionally caught the eye – but, basically, it was a case of having got the job done, and looking forward to the relative comfort of a home fixture against GHA next week.


  • According to Alan Lorimer, it was “rugby in the raw … in conditions that could charitably be described as inhospitable” as Hawick over-powered Selkirk at Philiphaugh. Their scrum was strong, their continuity was good and they were hungry. They will see next week’s home clash with Accies at Mansfield as a compelling opportunity to return the Bill McLaren Shield to its spiritual home.

Gary Callander has died, aged 62, after battle with cancer

Glasgow v Dragons: Warriors intent makes up for lack of accuracy

Edinburgh v Benetton: Mike Blair demands more despite bonus point win


  • Their tense win over Jed-Forest at Balgray was maybe just about enough to keep Glasgow Hawks in the hunt for a play-off slot, but it was a close-run thing. Sione Halafahi and Paul Caincross put in big shifts at the break-down and Ryan Flett and Fraser Gosse were always dangerous – but it could have gone either way. Musselburgh away next week.


  • A case of ‘close but no cigar’ for GHA at home to Currie Chieftains. They were hit by a 17-point hurricane in the opening quarter, but managed to batten down the hatches – and were dominant in the second half, with George Baird, Andrew Stirratt and Scott Plumridge all to the fore – enough see them in good heart for their challenging trip to Marr next week.


  • Coming off their poor performance at Musselburgh last week, and forced to field a make-shift back division, Scott Wight was pleased with Selkirk‘s determined defensive effort against Hawick at Philiphaugh – and reasonably satisfied, given the conditions, with the bonus point they picked up. Injuries continue to be a problem, and they must be hoping for some respite going into their game with Chieftains at Malleny next week.


  • A serious malfunction in their set-piece did for Musselburgh against Accies at Raeburn Place. They were dead and buried by half-time and though they got more into the game after the break, with a Danny Owenson penalty being the only score in the second half, they were never really at the races.


  • Jed-Forest were maybe unlucky to come away from their match with Hawks at Balgray with only a losing bonus point to show for their efforts – and a feeling that referee Sam O’Neil had done them no favours. Three yellow cards and a rib injury to Gregor Young certainly did nothing for their cause – but they must now focus on their “massive” game against Aberdeen at Riverside next week.


  • Aberdeen Grammar slipped closer to relegation, losing out to Marr in terrible conditions at Rubislaw. They hung in there gallantly – but lost Matthias Schosser to a yellow card just when it felt as though they might be able to establish a foothold in the game. They are now firmly ensconced in The Last Chance Saloon – and might very well be taking their final drink down at Riverside next week.

Gary Callander has died, aged 62, after battle with cancer

About David Barnes 4002 Articles
David has worked as a freelance rugby journalist since 2004 covering every level of the game in Scotland for publications including The Herald/Sunday Herald, The Sunday Times, The Telegraph, The Scotsman/Scotland on Sunday/Evening News, The Daily Record, The Daily Mail/Mail on Sunday and The Sun.