Premiership: The Sunday Summary (for Saturday 11th December)

Final round of matches before Christmas sees Currie Chieftains, Marr and Hawick consolidate their top three spots, while Jed-Forest pushed Aberdeen one step closer to relegation

Lewis Young carries the ball for Jed-Forest against Aberdeen Grammar. Image: Bill McBurnie
Lewis Young carries the ball for Jed-Forest against Aberdeen Grammar. Image: Bill McBurnie
  • A hat-trick by Jamie Forbes saw Currie Chieftains 19 points up in as many minutes against Selkirk at Malleny, and comfortably consolidating their position at the top of the leader board. That early scoring blitz won Forbes man-of-the match – but Fergus Scott, Joe Reynolds and Charlie Brett all had their moments. An interesting away fixture with Edinburgh Accies next.


  • Another tough afternoon weather-wise for Marr against GHA at Fullarton – but, again, they got the job done. It was hard going in the first half but after the break, they dominated the ball and used the wind to great advantage. Scott Bickerstaff’s influence continues to prosper in his brother’s enforced absence. Jed away next.


  • A great game, a great effort – and a great result for Hawick against Edinburgh Accies at Mansfield. The Bill McLaren Shield returns to its spiritual home – though ‘absent Teries’ would take a nasty shiver when the result first came up on the SRU website, showing Accies having won 22-0! A strong start, but they lost direction and rhythm with the wind at their back after the break, and had to dig deep to stay in it – to be rewarded with a decisive late penalty from Kirk Ford. Stuart Graham, Shaun Fairbairn and Conor Sutherland stamped their authority on the game – but it was Ford who wrote his name all over it, setting up and converting all three tries and kicking the vital penalty.

Challenge Cup: gritty Edinburgh claim inspired win over Saracens

Premiership: Hawick edge past Edinburgh Accies with late penalty

Low key governance review now requires an open and constructive discussion



  • Missing nine front-row forwards, Chieftains at Malleny was always going to be difficult for Selkirk – and so it proved. Scott Wight felt that they had ‘competed pretty well in the second half’ – but, in truth, though Euan McDougall and Andrew Grant-Suttie did get stuck in, the game was well gone before they fired a shot in earnest. Aberdeen may be all but down – but second bottom is a poisoned chalice – and the upcoming home game against GHA takes on a serious cosmetic significance.
Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 25)


  • GHA played hard against Marr at Fullarton and were in the game until the hour mark, but then cracked. Grant Mollison, Andrew Stirrat and Charlie Lonergan showed what they might offer on a dry day with decent ball – both of which are, however, rare commodities at Fullarton in December. The threat of relegation may have been allayed – but credibility is very much on the line down at Philiphaugh next.



  • The next Premiership stand-by date is 12th February – which, presumably, is when the Covid postponed Musselburgh versus Glasgow Hawks game will be played.

Premiership: Jed-Forest push Aberdeen Grammar closer to the trapdoor

Premiership: table-toppers Currie Chieftains blast past Selkirk

Premiership: ruthless Marr harness the wind to blow GHA away

Premiership: Hawick edge past Edinburgh Accies with late penalty


1 Comment

Comments are closed.