SCOTLAND UNDER-20S head coach Kenny Murray has named nine potential new caps in his 32-strong squad for the age-grade side’s ‘Summer Series’ campaign in Italy, which kicks off on Friday 24th June and will run through to Tuesday 12th July.
Two of the new faces are Boroughmuir back-row Liam McConnell and Gala winger/centre Kerr Johnston, who represented Scotland in the spring of this year in the Under-18 Six Nations Festival in France. The other players involved for the first time are South African back-row Euan Groenewald, Ealing Trailfinders full-back Gabe Jones , Glasgow Hawks/Boroughmuir Bears hooker Iain Carmichael, Edinburgh Accies/Southern Knights scrum-half Ben Afshar, Glasgow Hawks/Stirling County scrum-half Finlay Burgess, Currie Chieftains/Watsonians winger Ryan Daley and Gloucester Academy prop James Lascelles.
“I’m really excited to be taking this group of players across to Italy for the Under-20 Summer Series and see what they can do. Whilst the results in the Under-20 Six Nations were disappointing, we’ve been building on the positives that can be taken from that competition to take into this summer,” said Murray.
“To have had 75% of our squad getting regular game time during the FOSROC Super6 Sprint Series, off the back of the Six Nations, has been fantastic for the players development. In training we can see that their intensity, skill level and desire to play a good attacking style of Scottish rugby is much higher.
“There are 11 members of this squad who are U19 and to have two Scotland U18 players stepping up to U20 so soon after their competition in the spring is testament to the quality of players that they are. In both McConnell and Johnston’s positions, we’ve a depth of talented players so we’re keen to see how they can utilize both their physical attributes and skill sets in this next stage of age-grade rugby.”
Scotland’s first pool match is against Wales on Saturday 25th June at Stadio di Monigo, Treviso, (kick off 4pm BST), followed by Italy on Thursday 30th June (kick off 7pm BST), then Georgia on Wednesday 6th July (kick off 4pm BST).
The tournament will finish with a cross-group match against either England, France, Ireland or South Africa on Tuesday 12th July (kick off and opponent TBC).
All of Scotland’s games will be available to watch live on YouTube, further details will be communicated when available.
Scotland U20 squad for Under-20 Summer Series –
- Gregor Hiddleston (GHA/Stirling County)
- Patrick Harrison* (Watsonians RFC/Edinburgh Rugby)
- Duncan Hood (Bath University)
- James Lascelles (Gloucester Rugby/Hartpury College)
- Ali Rogers (Glasgow Hawks/Ayrshire Bulls)
- Iain Carmichael (Glasgow Hawks/Boroughmuir Bears)
- Gregor Scougall (Currie Chieftains/Watsonians RFC)
- Callum Norrie (Stirling County/Strahallan School)
- Max Williamson* (Stirling County/Glasgow Warriors)
- Jake Spurway (Stirling County /Durham University)
- Josh Taylor (Ealing Trailfinders)
- Rudi Brown* (Southern Knights/Edinburgh Rugby)
- Rhys Tait* (Boroughmuir Bears/Glasgow Warriors)
- Tim Brown (Glasgow Hawks/Ayrshire Bulls)
- Ollie Leatherbarrow (Exeter Chiefs)
- Liam McConnell (Boroughmuir Bears)
- Euan Groenewald (University of Pretoria (TUKS))
- Matt Deehan (Newcastle Falcons)
- Murray Redpath (Southern Knights/Newcastle University)
- Finlay Burgess (Glasgow Hawks/Stirling County)
- Ben Afshar (Edinburgh Accies/Southern Knights)
- Christian Townsend* (Ayrshire Bulls/Glasgow Warriors)
- Euan Cunningham* (Stirling County/Glasgow Warriors)
- Andrew Stirrat (GHA/Ayrshire Bulls)
- Ben Salmon (Stirling County)
- Duncan Munn* (Boroughmuir Bears)
- Thomas Glendinning (Glasgow Hawks/Ayrshire Bulls)
- Keiran Clark (Melrose/Southern Knights)
- Kerr Johnston (Gala RFC)
- Ryan Daley (Currie Chieftains/Watsonians RFC)
- Gabe Jones (Brunel University/Ealing Trailfinders)
- Ross McKnight* (Stirling County/Glasgow Warriors)
*FOSROC Scottish Rugby Contracted Academy Player for 2021/2022 Season