National League Cup: Falkirk and Lasswade book final spots

Allan Glen's and Newton Stewart lose by a single point each in semi-finals

Lasswade squeezed past Allan Glen's after an excellent National League Cup semi-final clash at Hawthornden. Image: Dean Gibb
Lasswade squeezed past Allan Glen's after an excellent National League Cup semi-final clash at Hawthornden. Image: Dean Gibb

NATIONAL TWO rivals Falkirk and Lasswade will meet in the National League Cup final at Murrayfield on Silver Saturday in five days’ time after they both came through tough semi-final ties at the weekend with single point victories in each case.

At Hawthornden, Lasswade were 13-0 down to National Three outfit Allan Glen’s after 20 minutes and the visitors led 23-14 at the interval, before the home side fought back to win 24-23.

In the other last four clash, Falkirk were leading 21-10 over league-mates Newton Stewart after 74 minutes before two late tries by the visiting team had nerves jangling in the home ranks. However, neither try was converted and Falkirk held on to progress 21-20.

Scott Sinclair, Chris Blackie and captain Dale Robertson scored the tries for Lasswade versus Allan Glen’s with Matty Smith converting them all and kicking the winning penalty with 10 minutes to go.

Women’s 6N: Scotland captain Rachel Malcolm pays tribute to late mother of Emma Wassell

URC: Edinburgh v Scarlets: hosts return to play-off places with second half blitz

Hawick Sevens: Kelso consolidate Kings of the Sevens lead with Mansfield triumph

“It was a tough, but enjoyable game,” Lasswade head coach Peter Wright said. “Allan Glen’s came and played some great rugby, putting us under pressure from the very first minute, but we stuck to our task and managed to hold out for a narrow win.

“Cup rugby is all about the result and thankfully we came away with the victory.”

Levi Ekevati and captain Alasdair McConnell scored tries for Allan Glen’s with Peter Macaulay kicking three penalties and two conversions.

Skipper McConnell said:  “Everyone put in a great shift and showed the level we can play at. We will push on again next year.”

And head coach Mark Mooney added:  “The club can hopefully take the next step to be in contention for promotion to National Two next season and this showing gave the boys great confidence that they can compete at that level.

“All at Allan Glen’s wish Lasswade the best of luck for the final and thank them for a great game which was very physical, intense and exciting.”



Andrew Gillespie, Stef Yarrow and Callum Hunter were the Falkirk scorers in their tie versus Newton Stewart with Glen Faulds converting all three.

“As ever when Falkirk and Newton Stewart meet the game was highly entertaining and tight,” Falkirk director of rugby/assistant coach Kenny Grieve said.

“The two sides play rugby and like to throw the ball around and Saturday was no different.

“While Falkirk were never behind during the game, both sides were always in the contest right up to the last score where Newton Stewart had a conversion to win it and snatch victory, but their kicker pushed the kick wide of the posts and we were able to hold on and defend the last play from the restart.

“We are delighted to have won. It’s difficult to single any Falkirk players out, but stand-off Glen Faulds managed the game well and Gregor Ramsay and Gregor Dodd were superb at carrying ball and making metres, regularly getting the team over the gain line.

“There were also notable performances from 18-year-old second-row Gregor McKinnon and replacement winger Liam McNicoll who is 20.”

Thomas Quigley, Mark McCornick and Russell Morton were the Newton Stewart try scorers with Jack Gaw kicking one penalty and a conversion in defeat.

“As predicted, it was a very close match,” Newton Stewart head coach Martin Wallace said.

“Falkirk were on top for large periods of the game, but Newton Stewart wouldn’t give an inch. Even when we were down to 13 men at one point Falkirk were kept scoreless.

“It looked like game was over when Falkirk went 21-10 up, but the never say die attitude saw us score two late tries and narrowly miss the final conversion to claim victory.

“Either team could have won the game but it was to be Falkirk’s day. We would like to wish both Falkirk and Lasswade all the best in the final this coming Saturday.”

The National League Cup final kicks-off at 1.45pm at Murrayfield on Saturday and is one of seven matches – men’s and women’s – at that venue and the Hive throughout the day.

Scottish Cup: Edinburgh Accies book final spot with win over Marr

About Gary Heatly 462 Articles
Gary has loved rugby ever since he can remember and since 2004 he has covered the sport and others in a professional capacity for many publications and websites and runs his own company, GH Media.

1 Comment

  1. Tight semi finals suggests a great game on Saturday. Given how tight National 2 was this season, it’s all to play for.

    Got to back our local side and it’s not often I say that :-). Good luck to all at Falkirk.


Leave a Reply

Please be respectful in your replies. Abusive language is automatically blocked. Your email address will not be published.