London Scottish let commanding lead slip against Bedford Blues

Errors and ill-discipline cost Graham Steadman's men dearly as they slip up at home to Championship strugglers

London Scottish got off to a flying start but then fell away to Bedford Bulls. Image courtesy: London Scottish Twitter feed.
London Scottish got off to a flying start but then fell away to Bedford Bulls. Image courtesy: London Scottish Twitter feed.

London Scottish 17

Bedford Blues 24

HUW CROSS @ Richmond Athletic Ground

LONDON SCOTTISH surrendered a 14-0 lead at the Richmond Athletic Ground as Bedford Blues ran out deserved 24-17 winners.

Despite a physically dominant pack, errors and discipline cost the home side who were looking to back up their impressive victory over Cornish Pirates last time out.

With an expectant crowd in West London, Scottish started well, taking just seven minutes to cross over. Eeking a penalty from the visitors at a line-out in their own half, it allowed Scottish to pen the Blues back. Deep in the 22, a ruthless catch and drive saw hooker James Malcolm crash over, with fly-half Will Magie superbly adding the extras.

Super6: Southern Knights up and running with bonus-point win over Boroughmuir Bears

Glasgow v Exeter preview: Warriors face uphill battle in bid for last-eight place

Scotland squad announced for Spain friendly

Graham Steadman’s side established superiority in the set-piece and it was telling as Scottish extended their lead. In Bedford’s 22 and with a penalty advantage in the scrum, Bobby Beattie rose highest to collect Magie’s shot to nothing, dotting down under the posts with quarter the game gone.

At 14-0, Scottish looked comfortable and seemingly put an end to a brief Blues fightback when their defence held-firm underneath their own sticks. But then, having done the hardwork in forcing a knock-on and a scrum, an overly confident backline handed Bedford a lifeline as Rich Lane intercepted to flop-over from five yards, halving the hosts advantage.

Still rattled by the score, the visitors struck again but this time there was no fortune involved. A perfectly executed training ground move released wing Ryan Hutler on the half-way to scamper past a disorganised defensive line. Will Hooley’s touchline conversion leveling the scores with ten minutes of the half to play.

Scottish re-grouped for the remaining minutes and although camped deep in Bedford’s half, the visitors ultimately held-on until the break, albeit with some cynical try-line defending that may have warranted referee Simon Harding reaching to his pocket.

Both sides made changes early in the second half, Bedford emptying their bench while Scottish surprisingly opted for a change at the steering wheel as Harry Sheppard was sent on to replace fly-half Magie with half an hour to play.

With a kicking arm-wrestle on display it wasn’t until the hour we saw the first line break, and it was from Scottish. Full-back Luke Hibberd broke through some loose tackling before superbly off-loading to set Matt Gordon free, only for ill-discipline to cost them a score in Bedford’s 22.

And it did cost them.

From the resulting penalty, the visitors crept up to the half-way and with a moment of brilliance, Hutler kick-chased and collected a fortunate bounce before side-stepping Hibberd to go over. Hooley again adding the extras.

Scuppering a chance to close the score from an attacking line-out, Scottish re-gathered to win a penalty on the 22 which Sheppard nonchalantly slotted to make it a four-point game with ten minutes remaining.

Hooley promptly retaliated with three-points of his own, which was a small victory for Scottish who defended valiantly on their try-line stopping what would’ve been a two score game and an unassailable deficit.

As the clock ticked into the red, Bedford gave Scottish one last chance to take something from the tie, but a penalty that failed to make touch summed up their evening as Bedford ran out unlikely winners after Scottish’s dominant opening 20 minutes.

On a cold winter’s evening in Athletic Ground, proceedings started with a warming minutes applause for a member of the London Scottish family, Mark Whitehead, who passed away over Christmas.

Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 27)

Teams –

London Scottish: L Hibberd; R Stevenson, B Beattie, M Gordon, J Mikalcius; W Magie, J Barton; J Brodley, J Malcolm, K Whyte, N Cheishvili, A Toolis, L Frost, L WynneC, M Eliet. Subs: O Adams, R Eveligh, P Cringle, M Jurevicius, M Bright, C Gowling, H Sheppard, D Barnes.

Bedford Blues: P Lydon; R Hutler, R Lane, O Hirskjy-Douglas, D Adamson; W Hooley, A Day; S McCarthy, J Fields, H Paul, J Onojaife, E Taylor, D Temm, J Atkinson, A Faosiliva. Subs: R Smith, J Wrafter, A Penny, O Curry, J Buggea, G Hart, S Leeming, M Worley.

Referee: S.Harding

Attendance: 906


Scorers –

London Scottish: Tries: Malcolm, Beattie; Pens: Sheppard

Bedford Blues: Try: Lane, Lydon 2; Pens: Hooley.

Scoring sequence (London Scottish first): 5-0; 7-0, 12-0; 14-0, 14-5; 14-7; 14-12; 14-14 (h-t) 14-19; 14-21, 17-21, 17-24.


Man-of-the-Match: In an evening where Scottish’s pack had the upper-hand, the visitors were forced into expansive rugby and their winger Ryan Hutler excelled. The lightning quick speed at which he took both his scores deservedly gets him the gong.

Talking point: At 14-0 up, Scottish’s decision to play from under their posts cost them dearly. Halving the lead the visitors made the most of the lifeline and their confidence grew.  Scottish, makers of their own downfall it would seem.

Tennent’s Premiership preview – runners, riders and verdict for 11th January


About David Barnes 3908 Articles
David has worked as a freelance rugby journalist since 2004 covering every level of the game in Scotland for publications including he Herald/Sunday Herald, The Sunday Times, The Telegraph, The Scotsman/Scotland on Sunday/Evening News, The Daily Record, The Daily Mail/Mail on Sunday and The Sun.