SCOTLAND WOMEN will be without Jade Konkel for Saturday afternoon’s clash against England at The Stoop. The number eight, who is Scottish rugby’s only fully professional women’s player, has a finger and a lower leg injury – but team medics are hopeful that she could come back into contention for the final match of the championship against Italy at Broadwood Stadium on 17th March.
Sarah Bonar has been promoted from the bench to play at blindside flanker, with Jemma Forsyth shifting across to Konkel’s number eight slot, while Rachel Cook is recalled to the squad for the first time this season as replacement cover.
Elsewhere, Hillhead Jordanhill winger Abi Evans replaces Lauren Harris on the bench.
Scotland picked up their first Six Nations win in seven years against Wales last time out but head coach Shade Munro knows that his team face a significant step up this weekend.
“The win against Wales gave the squad a massive boost in confidence and was reward for all the hard work they’ve put in. The players showed great character and composure to get the one-point win. While it was a solid performance in both defence and attack, there are still plenty of aspects we need to refine,” he said.
“We are under no illusion how difficult England are going to be given they are top of the table having won all their games in this year’s Championship, but I have every faith our players will rise to the challenge and remain focussed on improving our performance,” he added.
Scotland Women team to play England Women at Twickenham Stoop onSaturday 11 March (kick-off 1pm) – delayed showing on Sky Sports at 8pm –
15. Chloe Rollie* (Murrayfield Wanderers) – 15 caps
14. Megan Gaffney (Edinburgh University) – 23 caps
13. Lisa Thomson* (Edinburgh University) – 10 caps
12. Lisa Martin* CAPTAIN (Murrayfield Wanderers) – 35 caps
11. Rhona Lloyd* (Edinburgh University) – 10 caps
10. Helen Nelson* (Murrayfield Wanderers) – 7 caps
9. Sarah Law* (Murrayfield Wanderers/Edinburgh University) – 28 caps
1. Tracy Balmer (Worcester) – 41 caps
2. Lana Skeldon (Hillhead Jordanhill) – 19 caps
3. Lindsey Smith (Hillhead Jordanhill) – 35 caps
4. Emma Wassell* (Murrayfield Wanderers) – 21 caps
5. Deborah McCormack (Aylesford Bulls) – 21 caps
6. Sarah Bonar (Lichfield) – 5 caps
7. Louise McMillan* (Hillhead Jordanhill) – 5 caps
8. Jemma Forsyth (Hillhead Jordanhill) – 19 caps
16. Lucy Park* (Murrayfield Wanderers) – 3 caps
17. Heather Lockhart (Hillhead Jordanhill) – 87 caps
18. Katie Dougan (Edinburgh University) – 7 caps
19. Rachael Cook* (Murrayfield Wanderers) – 10 caps
20. Lyndsay O’Donnell (Worcester) – 12 caps
21. Jenny Maxwell (Lichfield) – 13 caps
22. Eilidh Sinclair* (Murrayfield Wanderers) – 14 caps
23. Abi Evans (Hillhead Jordanhill) – 6 caps
Image courtesy: Scottish Rugby/SNS Group