THE coaching teams and fixture details have been confirmed for the soon to be revived Scottish Inter District Championship.
Caledonia Reds coaching team will be headed by by Colin Sangster of Dundee, and he will be assist by Kevin Wyness (Highland/GHA), Junior Bulumakau (Highland) and Sam Mountain (Gordonians).
Bob McKillop of Heriot’s Rugby is head coach of Edinburgh, assisted by Alex Hagart (Stewart’s Melville), Mark Cairns (Currie Chieftains) and Iain Bethinussen (Edinburgh Academical).
Kenny Diffenthal of Marr will take charge of the Glasgow & West team, assisted by Thomas Davidson (Glasgow Hawks) and Stephen Adair (Marr) who join as assistant coaches.
Last but not least, Matty Douglas, who led Hawick to the Premiership title this season, will take charge of the Soth team, working alongside Andrew Clark (Musselburgh), Iain Chisholm (Peebles) and Robert Grigg (Melrose Rugby).
Training squads for each District will be announced before in early April. Subject to eligibility criteria, players will be selected from across the National Leagues, which includes the Premiership.
“We are delighted by the enthusiasm and support shown so far for the Inter-district Championship,”said Scottish Rugby Vice President, Keith Wallace. “The coaching and management appointments show a real breadth of club talent, and we look forward to the squad announcements with eager anticipation.”
The revival of the Inter District Championship is the result of an amended motion presented by GHA at the Scottish Rugby AGM in July 2021, where 72 clubs voted in favour and 46 against). The competition, which was first established in 1953, used to be competed for annually in the amateur era by Edinburgh, Glasgow, the South, the North and Midlands and, laterally, the Scottish Exiles.
In the revived format will be played on a knocks-out basis in May with each team getting two games.
- Tuesday 9 May (7pm): The South v Edinburgh, Netherdale (Galashiels)
- Saturday 13 May (3pm): Caledonia Reds v Glasgow & The West, Canal Park (Inverness)
With the locations confirmed for the first two fixtures, Scottish Rugby is now accepting submissions from clubs across Scotland who are interested in hosting the Final and third/fourth place play-off on Sunday 21 May.
The hosting club will be required to provide the following facilities, support and logistics:
- Minimum capacity for 1,500 spectators
- Hospitality space
- Recommendations for catering services for hospitality
- Ensure availability for the point of contact person responsible (and person implementing if delegated) to work with Scottish Rugby staff on coordination of the event
- Parking provisions for teams and spectators
- Changing facilities for four teams and Match Officials
- Match Day Emergency Action Plans (please attach a copy with each submission)
Submissions should be submitted to Vicky Cox, Competitions & Compliance Manager at email@example.com no later than Friday 31 March 2023.