EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY quartet Shona Campbell, Meryl Smith, Anne Young and Holly McIntyre could make their Scotland debuts later this month, while Worcester Warriors second-row Lyndsay O’Donnell has returned to the Scotland squad which is preparing for the team’s Autumn Test against Japan at the DAM Health Stadium (on Sunday 14th November, kick-off 4.10pm).
Head coach Bryan Easson has selected a training group of 26 players for the game, which will be a crucial stage in the build-up to Scotland’s World Cup qualifying tournament, which is expected to be played in Dubai in January.
“The upcoming Autumn Test against Japan is a great opportunity for us to learn from our experience in the Rugby World Cup 2021 Europe Qualifiers,” he said.
“Japan have recently qualified for the Rugby World Cup as the highest ranked team in the Asia qualification process so this will be an ideal test for us as it exposes us to a different opponent and playing style ahead of our final qualification tournament next year.
“The players are also excited to run out in front of a home crowd for the first time since 2019, especially as they’ve played mostly behind closed doors for the past 18 months. We’ve all hugely missed having crowds so it’ll be fantastic to have supporters along at the DAM Health Stadium to cheer the players on.”
Scotland’s last encounter against the Brave Blossoms was in November 2019, which was also the last match they played in front of a home crowd, with Japan taking the spoils that day at Scotstoun with a 20-24 win.
Scotland Women squad for the 2021 Autumn Test against Japan:
- Leah Bartlett (Loughborough Lightning) – 10 caps
- Christine Belisle (Loughborough Lightning) – 10 caps
- Sarah Bonar (Harlequins) – 24 caps
- Lisa Cockburn (Darlington Mowden Park) – 21 caps
- Evie Gallagher (Stirling County) – 6 caps
- Jade Konkel (Harlequins) – 47 caps
- Rachel Malcolm (Loughborough Lightning) – 22 caps
- Rachel McLachlan (Sale Sharks) – 22 caps
- Louise McMillan (Hillhead Jordanhill) – 29 caps
- Lyndsay O’Donnell (Worcester Warriors) – 15 caps
- Lana Skeldon (Worcester Warriors) – 46 caps
- Emma Wassell (Loughborough Lightning) – 50 caps
- Molly Wright (Watsonians) – 8 caps
- Anne Young (Edinburgh University) – uncapped
- Shona Campbell (Edinburgh University) – uncapped
- Megan Gaffney (Loughborough Lightning) – 37 caps
- Sarah Law (Sale Sharks) – 46 caps
- Rhona Lloyd (Les Lionnes du Stade Bordelais) – 31 caps
- Jenny Maxwell (Loughborough Lightning) – 35 caps
- Holly McIntyre (Edinburgh University) – uncapped
- Helen Nelson (Loughborough Lightning) – 35 caps
- Chloe Rollie (Exeter Chiefs) – 43 caps
- Hannah Smith (Watsonians) – 29 caps
- Meryl Smith (Edinburgh University) – uncapped
- Lisa Thomson (Sale Sharks) – 38 caps
- Evie Wills (Hillhead Jordanhill) – 1 cap
Tickets for Scotland Women v Japan Women are on sale now HERE. Kids for £1 tickets are available with a paying adult, at £12, and U18s go for £5.
More to follow at 10pm.