Another round of negative Covid test results in France

Decision on whether Sunday's Six Nations clash against Scotland can go ahead will be made tonight

Another round of negative Covid Test results in the French camp has raised hopes that Sunday's match against Scotland in Pars will go ahead as scheduled. Image: © Craig Watson -
Another round of negative Covid Test results in the French camp has raised hopes that Sunday's match against Scotland in Pars will go ahead as scheduled. Image: © Craig Watson -

THE prospect of Sunday’s Six Nations clash between France and Scotland going ahead as scheduled has been boosted by a second day of negative Covid test returns in the France camp.

A Six Nations Testing Oversight Group will decide tonight [Wednesday] whether it is safe for the to be played, following a Covid outbreak in the French camp which has seen 10 players and four backroom staff members test positive since last Monday. Another player reportedly tested positive at his club on Sunday after being called up to the squad as an emergency replacement.

A statement from Fédération Française de Rugby [FFR] said:

Following the RT-PCR tests carried out last night, Tuesday February 23, all of the players and management tested negative for Covid-19.

No new case has been identified for 48 hours.

Tests will be carried out daily until the France-Scotland meeting this Sunday.

France v Scotland: Chris Harris determined to lay to rest the ghost of 1999

About David Barnes 3817 Articles
David has worked as a freelance rugby journalist since 2004 covering every level of the game in Scotland for publications including he Herald/Sunday Herald, The Sunday Times, The Telegraph, The Scotsman/Scotland on Sunday/Evening News, The Daily Record, The Daily Mail/Mail on Sunday and The Sun.


  1. There can be no doubt despite the signals coming from the FFR that the Paris area and France in general are suffering an increase in infections otherwise there would not be a curfew at 1800 hours each day and the French Government quarantine would not have been extended as was announced two or three days ago from 7 days to 10.
    Whereas I would like to see the match on Sunday, I don’t wish to see it with the possibility of the Scotland squad and staff being exposed in an area where there is obviously an increase in infection, with the obvious increase in the possibility of contagion arriving in the Scotland Camp.
    It isn’t just for Paris fixture that could be disrupted, what about the possible contagion to the Scottish squad and staff and the effect it would have on the last two fixtures at Murrayfield?
    Whoever organised the Autumn Internationals didn’t waste any time in handing a win bonus to any of the teams when Fiji couldn’t turn up, just because the FFR think they have a chance of the championship there should be no greater flexibility in identifying the potential problems not only of the game going ahead on schedule, but also at a later date: both those options could well be detrimental to Scotland’s chances of success in the 6N.
    Anyway those are the fact of the matter as I see them, [or the opinion of an ‘armchair professional’ as some might say] there is no point in making any decision that disadvantages the Scotland camp.

    • George. I think the answer is simply financial. As I understand it there is no prize money at stake in autumn but the 6N pays out depending on finishing position so there’s more incentive (if that’s the right word) to actually play so that meritocracy comes into effect

  2. The game potentially going ahead with so many starting French players out (and in an empty stadium) is increasing my hope levels to worryingly high levels!

    • What worries me about this game going ahead on Saturday with so many French players missing, is that Scotland would be labelled favourites – which as we all know would sound the death knell to our chances…..

Comments are closed.